Presidents Council Members,
As we all work on adapting to this current environment, we want to update all members on changes in schedule and status of current activities.
Previously scheduled events have been postponed until further notice.
March 27th - SHI WWTP tour
March 31st – Presidents Council (PC) membership meeting
As we advised in the March 17th update (see the website pcofhi.com for details), there have been changes in the Board and we continue to prepare for the annual meeting in April. Decisions regarding the April meeting have not yet been made.
Following is the latest Beach & Dune Committee Update.
As you know, the SLC Commissioners (BOCC) met for an Informal Meeting on March 10th to discuss various options for funding the Federal Beach Project. In preparation for the meeting an email was sent to the Commissioners outlining the Presidents Council input on options to be discussed. (see attachment)
The Mar. 10th Informal meeting was not the broad discussion of options as anticipated, but rather a one issue discussion about a "South Hutchinson Beach Property Purchase Proposal" for the additional public beach access points. The consensus was that the purchase of any property was not of interest. The PC representatives were disappointed that there was no discussion about any other or new alternatives to acquire the public accesses (i.e. the option to purchase easements from Associations or individual property owners, as had been requested by the PC). County staff also spoke briefly about their forthcoming plan and effort to acquire required “perpetual construction easements” along the length of the dune, consistent with all previous projects.
Since the meeting, SLC staff has indicated intent to engage with the impacted Associations and expect subsequent Informal meeting(s) with the BOCC to discuss the project more broadly. The TC Palm reported Jeff Bremer, SLC Deputy Administrator, who has been the senior staff point person directing County efforts concerning the So. HI Beach Project has resigned. It is unclear at this time if this will impact the project in anyway.
With the uncertainty and lack of clarity, everyone is encouraged to meet with the County and learn first-hand the status and better understand the impact of the options/timelines on your Association. PLEASE keep us updated on your discussions (via email firstname.lastname@example.org).
We will continue to update, via email and the website, any new developments or changes in schedules. Stay well!
Presidents Council Board of Directors