Summary of the September 15th Membership Meeting
Guest Speaker: Capt. Paul Langel, SLC Fire Dept. (BDA-bio-directional amplifier survey and code requirements for high rise buildings)
Capt. Langel provided background information, Florida statute and code requirements and future timelines. This legislation addressed issues in communication coverage discovered by first responders during 9/11. The April 27, 2020 letter (attached to this email and available on pcofhi.com, Governmental Affairs Committee) from the SLC Fire Dept. provides more details on deadliness and those impacted by the requirements. It is unknown at this time if there will be any changes in the process or deadlines during the next legislative session.
Capt. Langel emphasized the need to be proactive and this meeting was meant to help build awareness of the process/resources available. To ensure that your Association receives all current information from the Fire Dept., contact Kelly Machado, Assistant to Capt. Langel at 772-621-3322 to ensure that current email addresses are provided. Capt. Langel’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, in attendance was Josh Franklin from Signal Corp 561-699-8748, email@example.com. Signal Communications performs the surveys for the Associations.
Additional information provided during the discussion:
· Legislation applies to buildings 75’ at the highest occupiable space.
· Deadlines included in April 27th letter from Capt. Langel. (available on pcofhi.com)
· Process improvements are for the safety of the first responders and the residents.
· Lack of communication coverage is attributable to the type of construction of the high rises, in addition to the location of the signal.
· Solutions for the Associations to improve the coverage is costly and various alternative options to improving it at a broader level were discussed. (i.e. add a new site; strategic antennas on the building roofs; add an amplifier to the fire trucks). Capt. Langel advised that the Fire Dept has all updated radios and signal boosters.
Capt. Langel’s openness and willingness to work closely with us is greatly appreciated. PC Board will continue to look for alternative solutions, connect with expert resources and communicate new information to the membership as it becomes available.
Filter articles by category below.